NEW DELHI: Former Indian prime minister P. V. Narasimha Rao became so unpopular with his party that when he died in 2004, his funeral pyre burnt with no one to stop stray dogs that attacked the remains, the author of a new biography says.
In an article in the Indian Express on author Vinay Sitapati, who claims to have had access to Rao’s private papers, spoke of the forthcoming book: Half-Lion: How P V Narasimha Rao Transformed India.
He said Sonia Gandhi, a grieving widow during Rao’s tenure, and he were on poor terms, which worsened with the demolition of the Babri Masjid under his watch.
He used the Intelligence Bureau to spy on her, since many of his ministers were secretly reporting to her. She in turn kept tabs on him through her Congress colleagues.
When Rao died in December 2004, his family wanted the body cremated in Delhi. “This is his karmabhoomi”, Rao’s son Prabhakara told then prime minister Manmohan Singh. “But Sonia’s closest aides ensured that the body was moved to Hyderabad,” Sitapati says.
Published in Dawn, June 25th, 2016
How Narasimha Rao Was Humiliated In Death
The corpse was clad in white dhoti and golden silk kurta. At 2.30 p.m., it was brought from Delhi’s All India Institute of Medical Sciences to 9 Motilal Nehru Marg. P.V. Narasimha Rao, prime minister of India from 1991 to1996, had died at around 11 a.m., 23 December 2004. The doctors had needed a couple of hours to dress the body before sending it back home.
One of the first people to arrive at Rao’s house was Chandraswami, the bearded guru who had known him since 1971. Also present were his eight sons and daughters —whom he had kept at a distance — as well as the nephews and grandchildren he had been closer to. Eldest son, Ranga Rao — who had fought bitterly with his father — inconsolable.
Stray Dogs Were Pulling and Eating PV Narasimha Rao’s Half-Burned Body – BY: Balbir Singh Sooch-Sikh Vichar Manch
Here is an example of the lack of concern for details that has become the hallmark of the Indian life at every level.
1. In 2004, P.V. Naramsinha Rao, a former Prime Minister, died. According to the hindu rites, his body has been cremated but his half-burnt body has been left on the pyre at midnight for lack of wood?and care! Thus, the man who is responsible of the liberalization of India was abandoned on the pyre by people close to him. On indian callousness
2. How Sonia Gandhi insulted for Prime Minister of India, PV Narasimha Rao even in his death will bring tears and make your blood boil
3. To PV Narasimha Rao: The insult and humiliation did not end here. The greatest insult to PV was yet to come.
4. After his funeral pyre was lit, no one stayed at the cremation ground. Congress leaders of Andhra Pradesh were hard to be seen.
5. His- Former PM of India, Pamulaparthy Venkata Narasimha Rao (PV Narasimhas) half-burnt body was left lying on the pyre while the flames died down: Stray dogs were pulling and eating his half-burned body.
6. There was none to care to ensure that the body was completely reduced to ashes.
7. Stray dogs were pulling and eating his half-burned body.
8. In that days tv9 correspondent pointed out that half burnt body, immidiately informed and alerted officials.There and then completed the cremations rituals with this incident Congress party face of lot of critics opposition political parties politisized alot
9. Former PM of India, Pamulaparthy Venkata Narasimha Rao (PV Narasimhas) final humiliation